Friday, September 28, 2012

5 down 28 to go

What is the radiation experience like for me? I walk into the office and the girls know you (cause you go there everyday), the people sitting in the waiting room know you as well (cause they are going through their radiation regiment).  The receptionist buzzes me back into the exam and radiation area. I go and grab a locker, like a spa locker. I throw my purse and any clothing that is from the waist up off.  I put on a non-sexy gown and I don't even bother to tie it up.  I go into the sitting room and say "hi" to the regulars. We compare and share stories over water (bummer no vodka tonics here).  One of the radiation nurses comes and gets me. Everyday they ask, "what is your birthday and which breast are we treating?"  I'm such a brat because I want to say "hello, it's the breast without the nipple, the one that you've drawn a big "X" on with a Sharpie marker." But, instead I ask if she has any special plans for the weekend. She's getting her hair done, awesome! Bad attitude sneaking up again, in my head I say, "umm must be nice to have hair to get done."

As a side note, last night Gabriella as asked if it's all girls that get to see my boobs each day and I said, "yes." She said, "phew." Well, to mix it up today there was a male nurse (no jokes please, he was very nice). We walk into the radiation room and I take off my sexy gown and lay down on a moving table. Two nurses on each side of me adjust my body to the exact millimeter so that I match up the same way and the rays get me the same way each day.  I lay with my hands over my head, no top on and I feel so vulnerable.  When would we ever lay anywhere half naked with our arms up (not covering our privates) in front of strangers?  Once the nurses get me positioned they leave the room.  They must have some sort of remote control for the bed because the bed starts to move, it makes a funny sound, like a roller coaster getting ready to take off.  The medical staff has to first do a scan to make sure and adjust the rays. As I lay there these space age robot arms start circling me and it sounds like C-3P0 is in the room with me.  Once they have the radiation ready these same robot arms circle the bed and it sounds like a little kids laser gun is shooting into me.  In my head I'm hoping my lungs and heart are being like a snail or turtle hiding in their shell from the laser gun.  I try to imagine those organs shrinking away from the radiation. Mind of matter, eek, I can only hope.  Once the team is done with the radiation the robot arms go back to the start position, they lower the bed, I hop off, put my gown back on, wish them all a good day and back the the locker area.  I'm in and out of the office in about 30 minutes. The end, just 28 more days to go.

Gabriella's new "funny" thing is to check my armpit to see how much hair is growing on the side that I'm not allowed to shave.

Thanks for reading

2 comments:

  1. What's the name of the b-word that said she's getting her hair done, I'm going to go beat her up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of those times this could use a "like" because I was thinking the same thing. I suppose they see it every day, but still... have a little empathy, or at least sympathy.

    ReplyDelete